Back to JIT testing

| No Comments
The latest version of the serial servo controller is now fully operational (I'll upload the source code shortly). There are still some bugs that I'm finding but the work I put in to getting the unit tests in place makes fixing these bugs pretty straight forward. Whilst I have pretty much 100% coverage for the simpler serial commands I've stopped writing tests for the 'multi-move' command now and I've switched to "Just in time" testing; that is I write a test in response to finding a bug. The test duplicates the input that causes the bug to show up and then I fix the bug using the test harness to exercise the code with the correct input values... It would be nice to stay focused on getting 100% coverage on the multi-move command but right now that's not a priority. 

Whilst developing the servo controller I often wished I had an oscilloscope, being able to visualise the signals that I was generating would have been useful many times. Due to the cost, choice and the fact that I eventually worked out what I was doing wrong in each situation I am continuing to delay getting an oscilloscope but today I saw a cheap little device that could be useful as I tune the controller in future. My 'new products' feed from CoolComponents had the TextStar Serial LCD Display in it this morning. This is a neat little programmable display which has a 'servo signal display' mode which enables it to display the pulse length and refresh rate of a servo signal. Given the cheap price and the fact that I'm sure the LCD display in itself will be useful I ordered one. I hope to hook it up to my controller so that I can see what's being generated. The datasheet for the device is here.

Leave a comment